Kidnapped

It was a hot sunny day in Mumbai. Priyanka was busy typing her document in office. A trickle of sweat was dangling at her earlobe. As she was about to save the document her phone began to ring. Startled at the sudden ring she almost jumped from her seat. She picked the phone.

Priyanka: Hello...

Priyanka: Yes...

priyanka's eyes widened in horror, her hand started to tremble and instinctively cusped her mouth

Prinkaya: What! No!

Priyanka: Where !

She took a pen and started to write down

Priyanka: Can you repeat please...

She cross checked whatever was written was same as what was told over the phone.

Priyanka: I will be there right away!

She kept her phone down and sank into her seat. Her entire body was shaking with fear. She was not sure what do. Just then she remembered about Manish. It had been a month since she had joined this company. She had come to Mumbai for the first time and had no friends. Manish was a new joinee as well and during the induction program they had become good friends. Manish's cubicle was down the aisle. She ran to his cubicle.

Priyanka: Manish! Manish! 

And she almost fell down. Manish sensed there was something wrong and he immediately got out of his seat and made priyanka sit.

Manish: Calm down Priyanka! Here take some water. 

Priyanka gulped the water in one go.

Manish: Now tell me what happened.

Priyanka: Manish, Sonali has been kidnapped

Manish: What! When! How! 

Priyanka: I don't know. I got a call from the kidnapper and he is asking for a Ransom to release Sonali

Manish: What! ok cool down. Let me think.

Manish: Where has he asked you to come. 

Priyanka: He has given me the address, it is somewhere in Ghatkopar.

Manish: Ok! How much money is he asking

Priyanka: 1 lakh

Manish: Ok thats about 1500 dollars

Priyanka: What ! why are you bothered about dollars!

Manish had recently been on a two week trip to US and had got used to converting rupees to dollars and dollars to rupees!

Manish: oops Sorry. So do you have hundred thousand rupees... I mean one lakh rupees with you.

Priyanka: No. But I can swipe my card.

Manish: You can do what !

Priyanka: Swipe my card. The way I swipe in the the mall

Manish: ok. But where are you planning to swipe the card.

Priyanka: At the kidnapper place. I will ask him to swipe my card.

Manish just gaped at priyanka with mouth wide open. Then he composed himself and said:

Manish: I don't think they will have a swiping machine! They are kidnappers not sellers of huggies nappy pads! Ok we can do one more thing. How much money can you withdraw from your account

Priyanka: I can withdraw about 60,000 rupees.

Manish had about 50,000 in his account. So he said:

Manish: I can withdraw 40,000 more so we have 1 lakh with us. When are we supposed to pay the money

Priyanka: Now !

Manish: Ok lets hurry up.

Suddenly Manish realized that his performance appraisal with his manager was to begin in 30 minutes. Manish was in a fix. But then this was a question of someone's life ! So, Manish asked priyanka to wait and rushed to his manager.

Manish: Boss, we have my appraisal discussion in another 30 minutes. But I need to go out urgently. It is a matter of someone's life.

Boss: But Manish we have already postponed your appraisal twice. What is the matter? Are you not serious about your career !

Manish: I know Boss. But pardon me this time. I really need to go.

Boss with a sigh: Ok Manish i will postpone it again. But you are disappointing me. You seem to lack confidence I am having second thoughts now.

Manish: I understand you concern boss. But this time it is serious. Let us have it tomorrow.

Boss: Ok.

Manish rushed to priyanka and they both went to the ATM and withdrew the money. Then they rushed down to the parking lot. They both went near Manish's bike.

Priyanka: Are we going in the bike.

Manish: Yes. This is my bike. Got a new one recently.

Priyanka: No! I cannot come on the bike.

Manish: Why! Don't worry, I am a safe driver.

Priyanka: No thats not the point. I have not got my sun screen today! I cannot go out in the bike.

Manish: You have not got what ! Jeez !

Manish was shocked ! Then he suddenly realized that his college-mate Sarfaraz had a Car.

Manish: You wait here for a minute I will arrange for a car.

...and Manish rushed to Sarfaraz's cubicle

Manish: Sarfaraz mujhe thodi der ke liye teri Car chahiye

Sarfaraz: Kaiko re

Manish: Abe thoda urgent hai... Chal main teri car ko full tank petrol bharwa doonga

Sarfaraz suddenly stopped typing and turned back. The thought of getting his car tank full was enticing in return for loaning his car for a few hours. But then he wanted to milk more.

Sarfaraz: Uttach karga kya! Meri gaadi ghuma ko laane ko tu apun ko siraf tanki full karke dega !

Manish: Abe saale meri account khale hai be. Acha thik hai there ko KFC mein 2 leg piece.

Safaraz: Do nahin char leg piece aur rice bowl

Manish: Abe teri ! Chal thik hai. Ab car ki chaabi de.

Manish took the Car key and rushed to the basement. Both of them sat in the car.

Manish: Where do we need to go?

Priyanka: Near Sulemani tea stall, next to bhai junkyard, patli gali, buland darwaza, Ghatkopar

Manish was new to Mumbai as well. He had no clue about Ghatkopar. Then he realized that he had his mobile phone with him. He started the Maps on his phone and headed towards Ghatkopar.

Manish: It must be very hard for you. How old is Sonali.

Priyanka: She is four year old.

Manish: oh!

Priyanka: She is the cutest kid. I just cannot live without her. Whenever I come home she comes running and hugs me. My heart simply melts to the floor.

Manish: I can understand. Do you leave her with the maid.

Priyanka: No. I leave her alone at home.

Manish: You what! How can you leave a four year old alone at home! How can you be so insensitive!

Priyanka: I know. But I have no choice. I cannot take her anywhere. So I leave her at home

And priyanka started to sob. Manish realized that priyanka was not in a state to take any more questions.

Manish: I am sorry. I did not mean to hurt you. Did you call your husband and tell him

Priyanka: Husband! Manish How did you assume that I am married !

Manish was a little puzzled. But then he composed himself and said

Manish: oh sorry. I thought Sonali's father would need to be informed about the kidnapping

Priyanka: Manish! I thought I had told you before that Sonali is my German Shepherd

Manish nearly lost control of the car. He somehow managed to bring his car to a halt.

Manish: What! Sonali is your Dog !

Priyanka: How dare you call her a dog !

Manish: pardon me but what should a dog be called? A dog !

Priyanka: She is not a dog. She is my baby !

And priyanka started to cry aloud. Manish was totally on his nerves end as he had risked his appraisal and now all this was to get back a dog! Sensing the fact that Priyanka needed to be calmed, he said:

Manish: Priyanka look, I thought someone had kidnapped your daughter. I didn't know she was a dog, I mean a German Shepherd.

Priyanka kept sobbing as they travelled in silence. The phone directed them towards their destination and after 30 minutes they reached their destination. When they got out of the Car they were shocked. Manish looked at his phone. It showed that he had reached his destination, but all he could see was the sea stretching miles and miles ahead. Something was wrong. He rushed to a nearby vada-pav stall and asked him how to reach the address. The vada-pav guy stared blankly at him.

Vada-pav seller: Saheb you are in Juhu beach. Ghatkoplar to geli.

Manish could not believe his ears. How could hi phone be wrong ! This was not possible ! Then he realized that he also had the other phone. He decided to use that. He rushed to his car and told priyanka about the goofup. They both sat in the car and started following the new route on the new phone. After 45 minutes of drive they reached the destination. As he got out of the car he could hear the rhythmic beating. The sight before him was mesmerizing! People standing in rows after rows beating the clothes on the stone slabs. They had reached Dhobi Ghat! He got down and asked one of the washer women if this was Ghatkopar only to be spat on his face! Manish realized that all this GPS thing is one big mess! He is better of asking for direction to people. Asking Real people for real directions. So he asked one gentleman to help him tell the directions to Ghatkopar! Manish wrote down the direction on a piece of paper. He and priyanka set out to Ghatkopar.

After another one hour of nerve wrecking ride for priyanka they finally reached Sulemani tea stall in Ghatkopar. They both got down from the car and saw a bunch of people standing there. Manish went to one of the guys who looked like the head of the Gang.

Manish: Where is Sonali? 

Gang lead: Who is Sonali?

Manish: I mean where is that dog?

Gang lead: Where is the money?

Manish: We have the money. First show me the damn dog?

Gang lead: Show me the money. and who the hell are you, I talked with a lady.

Manish: I am a friend of the girl. She is in the car. Now show me the dog.

Priyanka could not wait in the car and she came rushing next to Manish. The Gang lead brought the dog out. Seeing the dog Priyanka burst out crying. Manish tried to console her. He took out the money and was about to hand it over to the gang lead when Priyanka stopped him.

Manish: What are you doing. Let us pay the money and take your sonali and go!

Priyanka: No!

Manish: Why? Don't you want your dog? Sorry I mean don't you want to take back Sonali with you?

Priyanka: No! I meant this is not Sonali! This is a Siberian Husky. This is not German Shepherd!

Priyanka now turned to the Gang lead and shouted hysterically!

Priyanka: This is not Sonali! Where is Sonali?

Gang lead: Who the hell is Sonali!

Priyanka: My Sonali. My German Shepherd.

Manish: She is talking about her dog

Gang lead: This is the only dog I have.

Priyanka and Manish looked at each other. Then Priyanka asked the Gang leader

Priyanka: How did you get my phone number?

Gang lead: It is written on the dog belt.

They all went near the dog and saw the number on the dog belt. 9819816989.

Priyanka: This is my number. But this is not my Sonali! And I don't put a belt on Sonali. How cruel!

Puzzled, everyone were lost in thought. Manish suddenly realized the mistake. He went back to the dog and looked at the belt for some more time. He then called out the others. Everyone went near the dog. Manish said:

Manish: The belt has been tied in reverse. The phone number on the belt is actually: 6869186186

The gang lead realized that he had messed it up. Priyanka and manish got back in the car and rushed to priyanka's home. When priyanka opened the door there came running the mighty German Shepherd! Priyanka gave out a happy scream on seeing her Sonali. After cuddling her baby, priyanka turned back to Manish

Priyanka: I really do not know how to thank you. You are the sweetest, kindest and gentlest person I have ever met. You have won my heart. Thank you 

And she held his hand. Manish's heart started pounding as if it was going to burst out of his chest. Sometimes all the money earned from appraisals is not enough to win the heart of a girl. All that is needed is some luck and a German Shepherd. And, by the way, sometimes it is worthwhile to get out of the Car and ask directions.

Listen to the Story